whoswholegal – Analysis – Real Estate 2022
Global Elite Thought Leaders are the people who have received the most nominations from peers, business consulting and other market sources this year. Our research has identified them as truly exceptional practitioners and the best in their field.
Who’s Who Legal does not list law firms, only individual lawyers. The top firms are those in each region whose listed practitioners received the most nominations in our search.
Elite Global Opinion Leaders
- Alessandro Balp – BonelliErede, Milan
- François Bonteil – Clifford Chance LLP, Paris
- Anthony Burnett-Scott – Macfarlanes LLP, London
- Rudy Dupont – Allen & Overy LLP, Brussels
- Christian Keilich – Clifford Chance LLP, Frankfurt
- Marzio Longo – Greenberg Traurig, Milan
- François De Montpellier – PwC Legal, Sint-Stevens-Woluwe
- Dion Panambalana – Hogan Lovells, London
- Corrado Rampini – Bär & Karrer AG, Zurich
- Andreas Rørvik – BAHR (Advokatfirmaet BAHR AS), Oslo
- Christian Schede – Greenberg Traurig LLP, Berlin
- Olaf Schmidt – DLA Piper, Milan
- Niko Schultz-Süchtin – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, Hamburg
- Tim Weber – Gleiss Lutz, Frankfurt
- Alexander Wyss – Baker McKenzie, Zürich
Rudy Dupont of Allen & Overy is widely recognized as a leading real estate expert, practicing in a range of business areas, including equity and asset transactions, due diligence and complex tenancy transactions.
Francis of Montpellier at PwC Legal enjoys a fantastic reputation in the market as an “established name” that is also “pleasant to work with”.
Dion Panambalana at Hogan Lovells is an undisputed leader in the field and is hailed as an “extremely brilliant” lawyer with experience advising public and private sector clients on large-scale projects.
Anthony Burnett-Scott of Macfarlanes impresses market commentators as “an excellent practitioner” who specializes in mixed-use development, lettings and acquisitions.
Francois Bonteil of Clifford Chance is widely recognized as a leading real estate expert, particularly in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and financing.
Niko Schultz-Suchtin of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer draws praise from commentators as a “simply excellent” practitioner whose work covers a wide range of real estate transactions and regulatory issues.
Christian Schede at Greenberg Traurig is a distinguished practitioner whose expertise covers a wide range of real estate matters, including complex mergers and acquisitions, project development and infrastructure investments.
Tim Weber at Gleiss Lutz ranks among the elite of our research practitioners and is acclaimed for his expertise in real estate M&A transactions.
Christian Kelich at Clifford Chance is highly regarded for his “excellent legal skills”, which he focuses on domestic and cross-border real estate transactions and development projects.
Olaf Schmidt at DLA Piper is an undisputed leader in real estate law and is particularly appreciated for his deep financial expertise.
Marzio Longo de Greenberg Traurig ranks among the reference lawyers in the field of real estate, appreciated for its expertise in complex transactions and the management of funds for large corporate clients.
Alessandro Balp de BonelliErede is widely recognized for its quality of negotiation and advice to clients on complex real estate matters.
Andreas Roervik de BAHR enjoys an excellent reputation for its skillful work on real estate transactions and development projects. His impressive list of clients includes banks, securities companies and family offices.
Corrado Rampini with Bär & Karrer constantly impresses market commentators with its in-depth knowledge of real estate transactions, from portfolio transactions to acquisitions.
Alexander Wyss At Baker McKenzie has a long track record in the real estate space, providing high level advice to a range of domestic and international clients on transactions, venture capital and fund structuring.
Elite Global Opinion Leaders
- Peter Aitelli – Shartsis Friese LLP, San Francisco
- Stevens A Carey – Pircher Nichols & Meeks, Los Angeles
- Stephen A Cowan – DLA Piper, San Francisco
- John C Currie – McCarthy Tétrault LLP, Toronto
- Jay A Epstien – DLA Piper, Washington
- Stefan Fews – Stikeman Elliott, Montreal
- Michael Goodwin – Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP, Washington
- Michael D Hamilton – O’Melveny & Myers LLP, Los Angeles
- Meredith J Kane – Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP, New York
- Jonathan L Mechanic – Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, New York
- Jay A Neveloff – Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, New York
- Ira J Waldman – Cox Castle & Nicholson LLP, Los Angeles
- Pamela L Westhoff – Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, Los Angeles
Stikeman Elliott’s stefan little stands out for its “superior knowledge of the Quebec real estate market, with extensive experience in structuring and executing complex commercial real estate transactions”.
John Currie at McCarthy Tétrault is considered “best in class in the real estate market” for being “hands-on and business-minded in his role as the de facto head of his company’s real estate group.”
Pamela Westhoff by Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton launched a “very varied and sophisticated practice” in real estate ensuring that “no one works harder than her on a wide range of issues”.
Michael Hamilton with O’Melveny & Myers receives accolades for being “an outstanding real estate finance lawyer” who is exceptionally “intelligent and diligent in his practice.”
Pierre Aitelli receives many accolades for being “a smart and energetic real estate specialist who makes engagements very easy” for his clients.
At Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel, Jay Neveloff is highly sought after in the real estate market for his “top notch” work ethic.
Michael Goodwin by Arnold & Porter has “a sophisticated practice and clients who think well of him” for nothing less than being “a formidable multi-faceted lawyer” in the field of real estate.
Steven Carey with Pircher Nichols & Meeks is hailed as “simply the best joint venture lawyer in the country” who is “intellectual and practical in his approach to the real estate market”.
At DLA Piper LLP (USA), Jay Epstien is considered a “dazzling star in the real estate business” due to his “realistic and objective view of where he and his partners at DLA Piper can add value” to any real estate venture.
Stephen Cowan supposedly “runs the show in the DLA San Francisco office on highly sophisticated transactions”, which is why he is considered among “the best in the country” on all matters relating to real estate.
Ira Waldman by Cox Castle & Nicholson “draws on decades of direct experience” in the real estate market and as such, “he is a tactical thinker who always has the depth of knowledge to support negotiations”.
Jonathan Mechanic at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson is considered “New York’s finest real estate attorney”, as he has proven to be “excellent in general and complicated transactions”.
Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison’s Meredith Kane is applauded by market commentators for being a “top notch attorney” who is “heavily involved in charitable work related to real estate, zoning and land use”.
Elite Global Thought Leader
- Rodrigo Cury Bicalho – Bicalho e Mollica Advogados, São Paulo
- Rodrigo Conesa Labastida – Ritch Mueller Heather y Nicolau SC, Mexico
- Marcelo Terra – Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto and Terra Advogados, São Paulo
- Olivar Lorena – Vitale Junior VBD Advogados, Sao Paulo
Rodrigo Cury Bicalho de Bicalho e Mollica Advogados is recognized among his peers as “a prudent lawyer with in-depth legal knowledge of the range of complex real estate issues”.
Marcelo Terra at Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados is “widely recognized by the real estate market”, with sources hailing it as “the best in the business and a benchmark for the sector”.
Olivar Lorena Vitale Junior with Vitale Junior VBD Advogados “is incredibly capable in difficult real estate matters”, according to commentators who advertise his “excellent practice”.
Rodrigo Conesa Labastida by Ritch Mueller Heather y Nicolau is a well-rounded attorney who is “very experienced in real estate” and “known for his very hands-on approach to finding solutions for his clients”.
Elite Global Opinion Leaders
- Julie Couch – Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, Sydney
- Stuart Dixon-Smith – King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney
Julie Sofa of Herbert Smith Freehills is internationally recognized as a leading name in the region, drawing on extensive experience to provide stellar advice on complex real estate transactions.
Stuart Dixon Smith at King & Wood Mallesons is a key name in the real estate market thanks to its outstanding work on major infrastructure and real estate projects. Its clients are both promoters and investors.